Factors and Techniques of Increasing Garment Production
Production and productivity in the apparel industry:
Production is worried about the activity of producing goods or services. Productivity is concerned with the workable utilization of resources to produce goods or services. Every apparel manufacturing industry wants to higher productivity. Because higher productivity brings a higher avail margin in the apparel business. The garment t industry is labor-oriented. So production depends on labor labor-oriented here are some factors to promote productivity in the apparel industry. So for increasing productivity in the garments industry have to follow techniques. In this article, I will discuss key factors and techniques to improve production in the garment industry.
How productivity can be increased in the garment industry:
R&D and IE departments in the apparel industry always try to how to increase production. From my experience I think the following ways can be increased productivity in the garment industry:
Increasing production (output) without increasing the inputs.
Keeping the production the same but decreasing the inputs.
Reducing the wastage and rejection rate.
Increasing the rate of output compared to the rate of input.
Establishing reasonable goals for improvements.
Applying automation and using modern technology.
Factors influencing productivity in the garment industry:
Productivity is affected by the following two categories of factors:
01. Controllable or internal factors:
- Type of product
- Plant and equipment
- Material and energy
- Technology and automation
- Work method
- Management policy
- Financial factors
02. Non-controllable or external factors:
- Structural adjustment
- Availability of resources
- Socio-economic factors
- Political factors
Benefits of higher productivity in garment production:
Higher productivity means higher profit. This can be understood easily by the following relation:
- The higher productivity of the garment industry is translated into higher real earnings for its employees.
- The public realizes more social benefits because of increased public revenues.
- The customer has to pay relatively low prices because the cost of manufacture is reduced through higher productivity.
- Productivity improvement techniques in the garment industry.
- Productivity is an hourly talked topic in any garments factory. I think the following technique will improve productivity in the readymade garment industry:
01. Technology-based technique:
- Computer-aided design
- Computer-aided manufacturing
- Integrated CAM
- Laser beam technology
- Energy technology and conservation
- Computer graphics
- Simulation software
- Modern maintenance management
- Hybrid or group technology
02. Product-based techniques:
- Value engineering
- Product diversification
- Product simplification
- Research and development
- Product standardization
- Product reliability improvement
- Advertising and promotion
03. Material based techniques:
- Inventory management and control
- Material requirement planning
- Material control
- Quality control
- Improved material handling
- Reuse and recycling
04. Employee based techniques:
- Financial incentives
- Fringe benefits
- Job enrichment
- Job enlargement
- Job rotation
- Worker participation
- Skill enhancement
- Communication improvement
- Learning curve
- Role perception
- Supervision quality
- Management by objectives
05. Task-based technique:
- Method engineering
- Job design
- Job evaluation
- Job safety design
- Production scheduling
- Computer-aided data processing